Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual disk does not work in windows 7
Virtual disk plugin does not work in windows 7. But there is an updated driver.
Please check: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.ph...rtual+disk

Could ULTIMA PRIME please update Total Commander to support it, this is a very needed feature.

Best regards,
Nelson
(07-29-2010, 08:35 AM)napra Wrote: Could ULTIMA PRIME please update Total Commander to support it, this is a very needed feature.

Yes, in the next version.
(08-07-2010, 12:13 PM)Pawel Wrote: On x64 machines, for example Windows 7 x64 it will not work, until you turn off driver signature checking, as Virtual Disk driver is not signed.
More information in Readme File of VirtualDisk.
-Pawel

Unfortunately the driver still doesn't work under win7 x64 with driver signing switched off. (during startup F8 and switch off driver signing). I used version 5.2 of tcup.

Hope this gets solved as I like TCUP and don't want to use extra software.
Pawel,

thanks for your support now it is working. What I did wrong was before instalation I switched off driver signing (F8 at startup) and expected that with the next restart it would stay off. But now I understand you need to do this every time you startup the computer and want to use the virtual disk.

Thanks again for the support and keep up the good work.
I already used TC and bought an license. Then I discovered TCUP and this made everything complete.

Alex, (The Netherlands)
(09-10-2010, 12:58 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(09-10-2010, 10:44 AM)ahjwinth Wrote: Unfortunately the driver still doesn't work under win7 x64 with driver signing switched off. (during startup F8 and switch off driver signing). I used version 5.2 of tcup.
Hope this gets solved as I like TCUP and don't want to use extra software.

Hi, this should really work.
Here is a short video, that shows every step to make it work.
Installation, Rebooting machine, disabling driver signing (F8, option).
Enjoy:
How to use [9MB]

-Pawel

Pawel, I activated virtual disk. I saw V: as mounted driver and rebooted computer. Double clicked V:, I got "Drive not found!".
I tried to download this video for help, but I got unfamiliar words on the webpage. I clicked every link on the page, no one pop up for saving this video.
My system is Win7 Ultimate X32 and TC UP 5.2.

Could you help me out? -Thanks in advance.
(09-13-2010, 08:04 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 07:57 PM)netsking Wrote: I tried to download this video, I got unfamiliar words on the webpage. I clicked every link, not one pop up to save windows.
Hi,
Sorry for that... Try this link:
http://www.pawelporwisz.pl/beta/Virtual.wmv
-Pawel

Ps: If you use Win7 x86, you dont need to do anything special...
Video presents how to make it work on Win7 x64 (because you need to disable driver signing function).

Thanks your prompt reply. I got the video file.
Right I still don't understand what's that meaning "disable driver signing function". How it make it work? I saw someone used F8 when reboot computer? How could I do it? press F8 and hold on for a while, it will be disable driver signing function?
(09-14-2010, 10:11 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 08:55 PM)netsking Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 08:04 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(09-13-2010, 07:57 PM)netsking Wrote: I tried to download this video, I got unfamiliar words on the webpage. I clicked every link, not one pop up to save windows.
Hi,
Sorry for that... Try this link:
http://www.pawelporwisz.pl/beta/Virtual.wmv
-Pawel

Ps: If you use Win7 x86, you dont need to do anything special...
Video presents how to make it work on Win7 x64 (because you need to disable driver signing function).
Thanks your prompt reply. I got the video file.
Right I still don't understand what's that meaning "disable driver signing function". How it make it work? I saw someone used F8 when reboot computer? How could I do it? press F8 and hold on for a while, it will be disable driver signing function?
You don't have to do it. As you wrote you use Win7 x86 (32 bits). On this, you can use unsigned drivers. Driver should work for you. Only on Windows x64 you can not run any unsigned driver (like our VirtualDisk).
-Pawel

I work on Win7 x64 - having to use a digitally signed drivers is a real pain in the a**.

Pawel - do you have any idea how much the signing process costs??
(is there a cheaper way than $900/2yr on verisign)

I have tried to use "self signing" and putting windows into the "test mode" and then removing watermarks, but yet it happened that MGA suddenly stated that I have illegal version of win7 (hence user32.dll.mui was modified and it's a well known issue). How can one override this digital signing on win 7 64 bit(permanently without hitting F8 on every boot)? Will there be a signed version released?? - Virtual Disks is a pretty handy plugin I use very often...

Cheers & thanks for the support

joesuh08
(11-09-2010, 05:24 PM)Pawel Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 12:44 AM)josuah08 Wrote: Pawel - do you have any idea how much the signing process costs??
(is there a cheaper way than $900/2yr on verisign)
I have no idea. Also, I dont know how to solve driver issue... I dont really know why Microsoft did this for Win7 x64... I am also using this system.
I hope, maybe someone of you - users - will find the way, how to turn off driver signing in safe way...
-Pawel

Officially, there are 2 reasons:
To improve reliability - no amateur drivers crashing kernel. But it doesn't make sense, what amateurs are capable of writing drivers?
To improve security - if you signed a virus, you can be found. Sounds better, but somehow I'm not surprised that it didn't help at all...
I guess that DRM was one of main reasons. If you can get to the kernel, you can defeat it, likely easily if you're a pro. And gray area software makers don't use stolen certificates, yet they are usually small, so it's a more significant obstacle. But repeat - it's a pure guess.