Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TCUP freezing up when manually renaming several files consecutivelly
Does any else experience the problem of TCUP freezing up when manually renaming several files consecutivelly (this happens when I want to manually rename several files in a directory, and I select a file, press F2, type a new name, and so on for next files... but after 7th or 8th file, TCUP just freezes after pressing TCUP... and I have to kill it and start again.
If you have solution, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there,

I didn't have that problem and could not reproduce it. Probably, you could provide some more information.

- Which Windows Version to you use?
- Are you working with admin rights?
- Which TCUP version do you use?
- Does it also happen, if you use original Total Commander?
- Are these files on a network drive, an internal drive or on an external drive? If it is external, how is it connected (USB, eSATA, ...)?
- Which filesystem do you use (FAT, NTFS, ...)?
- How deep is the directory structure? Is it e.g. "F:\Music\(Files)" or
"F:\Dir1\Dir2\Dir3\Dir4\Dir5\...\DirXXX\(Files)" ?
- How big are these files?

Probably you might consider to use the multiple rename tool (select the files ind TC and press CTRL+M)
I am not using multiple rename tool in those cases because i want to give different/uniques name to those files. Id does not happen when renaming less than 5 files but I could not rename up to 10 files consecutively - on 7th or 8th it freezes.

To answer your questions:
- Which Windows Version to you use?
Win XP SP3

- Are you working with admin rights?
No. Limited user account on both computers. TCUP installed on one computer normally (via install) and then copied to another computer via USB drive. Same problem happens on both computers.

- Which TCUP version do you use?
v5.0 currently. I noticed this problem in TCUP v 4.9 (I can't remember about v4.8). HAve been using it on 2 computers for a while now (see answer above)

- Does it also happen, if you use original Total Commander?
Have not tried yet. Will try and post.

- Are these files on a network drive, an internal drive or on an external drive? If it is external, how is it connected (USB, eSATA, ...)?
internal drive, I am not sure about connection...

- Which filesystem do you use (FAT, NTFS, ...)?
NTFS

- How deep is the directory structure? Is it e.g. "F:\Music\(Files)" or
"F:\Dir1\Dir2\Dir3\Dir4\Dir5\...\DirXXX\(Files)" ?
Some not very deep, some deeper, I did not notice a difference regarding path length and this error.

- How big are these files?
Files are usually 5 to 15 Mb in size.

If it does not happen to you, than it's probably something to the settings of my TCUP... since it happens on 2 different computers (although botha have the same OS and same limited account)
Hmm... I use TCUP on a couple of computers... with different users (admin/non admin/domain user/...) and with Windows XP as well as Windows Vista and I have not had that problem on any of them ^^

Do you use the same settings with your tcup installations? you could try to set one back to default settings and try to reproduce it then...

What probably could lead to that behavior:
- is an "aggressive" setting in your antivirus program
- is a problem with the harddisk (but on two computers? that would be quite a surprise)
- is a limited access to the files. Probably you may not edit/create new files in those directories (configurable in NTFS)
- is, that the files could be corrupted
I use same settings of TCUP on both computers. I could try to set back to default and then investigate in detail but I don't think it is worth it. Since you do not have this issue, I imagine it is due to my settings and since it happens only when renaming files as I described (which I do not do so often) I would spend more time investigating than it is worth. However, the only setting which comes to my mind that maybe could cause some issues is enabled "Show filename in a list as tooltip if truncated" (Display settings). Do you have this enabled?
Other settings are harmless (change of color and similar)

Regarding your assumptions of what probably could lead to that behavior:
- is an "aggressive" setting in your antivirus program
don't believe this is the case since two diferent av softwares are used on those 2 computers and they are set differently

- is a problem with the harddisk (but on two computers? that would be quite a surprise)
most likely no, as you stated also

- is a limited access to the files. Probably you may not edit/create new files in those directories (configurable in NTFS)
no, because I can rename the files after TCUP freezes and I restart it and continue with renaming of the remaining files

- is, that the files could be corrupted
no, see above answer

In any case, thanks for the answer and trying to help. I appreciate it.