Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing file type icon
Hi

Is there a way to change file type icon in Vista? For instance, I want to use Media Player Classic for playing music files. When I change the default program I also change the file type icons. I want the files icon to stay that same whenever I change the default program (in this case I want winamp style file icons).

Thank for help
ipep
Go to Control Panel / Appearance and Motives / Directory Settings /File Types, find files you want to change and click Specify, then Change icon and find icon which you want to use.

The problem is when you change the default program, the new program always assign his own icons.
This was my first idea some time ago, but after some research I learned that the only way to change icons is to use external software (extra rubbish on HD). In Folder Options there is no tab for File Types any more as it was in previous Windows (I have Vista Home Premium edition).

I was more interested whether is it possible to change icons within TC. Since there is no way to change icons (excluding playing with the registry or installing new software) I've hoped there is way to change icons in TC.

Thanks for response anyway;]
(12-21-2009, 08:06 PM)ipep Wrote: This was my first idea some time ago, but after some research I learned that the only way to change icons is to use external software (extra rubbish on HD). In Folder Options there is no tab for File Types any more as it was in previous Windows (I have Vista Home Premium edition).

I was more interested whether is it possible to change icons within TC. Since there is no way to change icons (excluding playing with the registry or installing new software) I've hoped there is way to change icons in TC.

Thanks for response anyway;]

Well, TC can do it too. Sorry, the advice I'll post may not be the simplest, but it works with any TC edition and I just don't have TC UP here.

You can change the icon either system-wide (which works the same as what lokotus738 proposed) or only for TC. The latter solution can be portable and won't be overridden when you associate another program.

1. System-wide.
  • Select a file that you want to have different icon
  • In TC command line type cm_Associate
  • In the dialog appearing, press "Edit type" button
  • Assign the right icon
2. TC-only. Requires TC 7.5 or later.
  • Select a file that you want to have different icon
  • In TC command line type cm_InternalAssociate
  • Add
  • OK
  • (change icon)
  • OK
  • OK
Thank a lot

I knew TC can do it!! Seriously, is there anything this program cannot do?Big Grin

Thank again
(12-22-2009, 04:52 PM)ipep Wrote: Thank a lot

I knew TC can do it!! Seriously, is there anything this program cannot do?Big Grin

Thank again

Coffe. Yet.
I was more interested whether is it possible to change icons within TC. Since there is no way to change icons (excluding playing with the registry or installing new software) I've hoped there is way to change icons in TC.????
Ali