Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
file associations [solved]
Bug 
After OS reinstall, I always lose file associations for my portable programs and I must again do "open with - always use blahblah" for all files to make assotiations...

How it is done in TCUP during install? How can I make my custom file associations? Is there any tool which can make that job saving and restoring file associations easier?
scud Wrote:After OS reinstall, I always lose file associations for my portable programs and I must again do "open with - always use blahblah" for all files to make assotiations...

How it is done in TCUP during install? How can I make my custom file associations? Is there any tool which can make that job saving and restoring file associations easier?

Search PortableApps.com forums, there was something like this. IIRC you had to enter every single association manually, but besides this it's workable. Once it's configured, you can add associations to the registry with a few clicks.

A similar thing is OpenFileTC in TC UP, however it works only with a hotkey (F3, F4 by default) and only within TC UP - it doesn't use registry but own configuration files.
It's much more comfortable to configure because whenever you approach unknown file type it asks you what to do with it. Manual configuration is also better here. Also, it's much more professionally done, but has limited usage.

There's also a tool called cafe, it's similar to OFTC, but can be configured to work with any application. Instead of a hotkey, it captures double clicks. Return doesn't work.

TC is likely to have portable associations implemented somewhere in the future, but don't hold your breath, unless it's with TC 7.5 (only Ch. Ghisler knows full list of changes) it's gonna take a year or more.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
I think it could be good to suggest saving / restoring associations to the author of this application:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
m^2 Wrote:Search PortableApps.com forums, there was something like this.
Thanks. I will try to find that tool there.

fenixproductions Wrote:I think it could be good to suggest saving / restoring associations to the author of this application:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Yes, that application could be good with that option. I can't believe there is no option "export associations to registry file". Worst then that, on internet I can't find tool which can export current system file type associations to damn reg file.

Ok, I could try to make it manual but when I watch for example avi file type in my registry on location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi
all that values are set to mplayer2 no mater If I sad "Allways open with KMplayer or GOMPlayer... " The same thing happen with .jpg and all other types. Simply no registry changes, no matter what association I do with "Open with...".
I really don't understand where is file association is stored in registry if HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is not that location.

Can someone post here example of registry entry for avi file type or other file type custom association?
2scud
Files extensions might be stored in many places.

Some of them are inside node HKCR, some - HKCU\Software\Mircosoft\Windows\Explorer\FileExts and other inside HKLM\Software\Classes.

Few extensions have valid actions assinged, other contains only the reference to other classes or file types (avi refers to KMPlayer.avi) like below:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="KMPlayer.avi"
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/avi"
"MP2.Last"="Custom"
"MPlayer2.BAK"="KMPlayer.avi"
"KMPBackup.bak"="avifile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\OpenWithList\wmplayer.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\OpenWithProgIds]
"avifile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}]
@="{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}"

In the case of reference from above, you should look for KMPlayer.avi node.

Whole structure depends on your system's configuration: how many accounts do you have, how do you handle them, etc.. All I can say is "it's freaking magic" and you shouldn't bother yourself with it.

---
BTW I think this article might help you:
http://www.la-solutions.co.uk/content/Fi...ations.htm

I am no 100% sure about it (not tested) but... using proper command line tools (ASSOC and FTYPE) you can list all of your associations and save it to text file. When it will be needed you can create simple BAT to "give it back".[/align]
fenixproductions Wrote:BTW I think this article might help you:
http://www.la-solutions.co.uk/content/Fi...ations.htm

I am no 100% sure about it (not tested) but... using proper command line tools (ASSOC and FTYPE) you can list all of your associations and save it to text file. When it will be needed you can create simple BAT to "give it back".

Ok, thanks. I hope so I will find solution there.
Big Grin 
O yes, I finally found where are damn associations in windows Smile
Totaly strange place but all custom users associations are here:

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts]

When open that location in registry editor you'll see big list of all extensions and their default opening programs...
scud Wrote:O yes, I finally found where are damn associations in windows Smile
Totaly strange place but all custom users associations are here:

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts]

It is not so strange for multi-account environment.
This node changes according to logged user. So the best way to set associations for the user only is here. Global associations should be stored under HKCR although.