Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
evolution for mails and calendar, linux compliance
Big Grin 
Hi!!
I think that the good direction of this project and computing in general, is adding free software that we can found both in windows and linux, so we will be able to save our files in a pen drive and to go to other machine with the same free software running on a linux machine. So a good idea would be incorporate for example evolution as mail client and calendar, and open office as ofimatic suite. I know maybe it would become in a too large file installer. What do you think?
Thansk
Nice ideas but... the main purpose of this project is to have compete software pack for Windows operating system. The reason why is that the core (Total Commander) will never be ported to GNU/Linux itself.
I have a lot of problems to solve even with Win version: unicode or not, 32 or 64bit, etc. It is always hard to fulfil all user's requirement and I have to try to find golden middle. The best way to do it is looking for WinXP 32bit compatible software.
On the other hand I have to keep some limits for the installer and whole project. I can't gather everything without looking for resources.
Trying to gain OpenOffice acceptance is completely out of mind because it would double current size.

The same problem would be to give Win-Linux portability. There is not many applications which will allow to use the same version on different operating systems. I am not considering neither Java libraries nor Wine. The real portability would be include different versions into installer. But once again: what about size and which packages (rpm, deb,...) should I use?

I can only say "No" for this kind of issue. Of course, I will keep in mind during my searches applications which have Linux versions BUT I will not add them.

P.S. Maybe someone knows about similar project with Krusader?
ULTIMA PRIME Wrote:Nice ideas but... the main purpose of this project is to have compete software pack for Windows operating system. The reason why is that the core (Total Commander) will never be ported to GNU/Linux itself.
I have a lot of problems to solve even with Win version: unicode or not, 32 or 64bit, etc. It is always hard to fulfil all user's requirement and I have to try to find golden middle. The best way to do it is looking for WinXP 32bit compatible software.
On the other hand I have to keep some limits for the installer and whole project. I can't gather everything without looking for resources.
Trying to gain OpenOffice acceptance is completely out of mind because it would double current size.

The same problem would be to give Win-Linux portability. There is not many applications which will allow to use the same version on different operating systems. I am not considering neither Java libraries nor Wine. The real portability would be include different versions into installer. But once again: what about size and which packages (rpm, deb,...) should I use?

I can only say "No" for this kind of issue. Of course, I will keep in mind during my searches applications which have Linux versions BUT I will not add them.

usuario_habitual Wrote:
ULTIMA PRIME Wrote:Nice ideas but... the main purpose of this project is to have compete software pack for Windows operating system. The reason why is that the core (Total Commander) will never be ported to GNU/Linux itself.

ok, thank you very much for yor response

Never say never. Actually it can really happen.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
m^2 Wrote:Never say never. Actually it can really happen.

I know that Christian was working about Linux version but he stopped. I doubt that he will continue. It would mean to stop developing for Windows temporary. Imho: to much requests exist for current TC version to do that.

I will never say die but it looks like TC will not be ported until Linux gain more than few percents of desktops market.
[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
fenixproductions Wrote:
m^2 Wrote:Never say never. Actually it can really happen.

I know that Christian was working about Linux version but he stopped. I doubt that he will continue. It would mean to stop developing for Windows temporary. Imho: to much requests exist for current TC version to do that.

I will never say die but it looks like TC will not be ported until Linux gain more than few percents of desktops market.
Recently (2 weeks?) he said that he might try again. Search his forum if you want to know more.
EDIT:
I was wrong, he just showed his interest.
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=...ight=linux
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
Hi!!
I think I din't express myself correctly. My english is not very good, sorry. What I really wanted to say is that files created by the programs included in ultima prime, running in windows, of course, could be opened in linux by any other program running in linux. Not that ultima prime would run under linux.
Thanks