Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important! TC UP Integrator (1.2), need ideas!!!
@m^2
Nice idea.
If there will be no installer changes than even adding or removing applications would be possible. Just to give another tab called "Programs menu" (to be consistent with existing naming) where user will choose the proper action to be made:
1. Replace application
2. Add new application
3. Delete application

PS. Isn't there enough of tabs already? Maybe some general layout change would be the best (my proposal below)? My suggestion is to follow TC's options.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: dc85x15_philkc_fade22lr.png]
@fenix

1.) I was not talking about just to "not install" the languages... as this does not help against language files in e.g. notepad++... I do not want to have a lot of other files as well... like "readme" or "history" or such... I want a way to shrink the installation size... (I use TC UP mainly on my USB stick... and since this one has a limited size, I do not spent the space for nonsense).

The pathes to those files could be saved in an ini-file ... and be separated into different categories (language files, license files, readmes, ...) ... this is definetely.

As TC UP does install all the original files, he should not have any problems with copyrights or licensing...

2.) I did not want Ultima to build up a database with "supported" applications... and I do not want to replace currently apps included in TC UP... My goal was to let the user add locally installed applications ... so that I get a possibility to start it with TC UP... I just want it to be integrated into the Tools or Apps Menu to start it... or probably even a button in the button bar... eventually I want a direct link to its installation folder like to the already included pathes...

I would not advice to give that easy solution to exchange apps from the TC UP package, because then... the TC UP package looses lots of its own flair... it was packaged with tools, Ultima wanted to have in it... and several more were included as he was persuaded, that a specific program is a good extension... they are in it for a good reason.

Greetings

Crowley
@crowley

Ad. 1. Sorry for misunderstanding. Your idea could be done easily. The question is licensing. Some licences may require to include them into package. As far as this rule is applied to the whole project, it is good. But no-one knows, is providing the tools which allows to delete them legal.

Ad. 2. So what's about m^2 / my proposal for +/-/replace buttons? If ULTIMA will have nothing against this would provide good solution for your goals.
Sure, I am not a lawyer, but I'd say... the afterwards-cleanup-functionality should not be a problem... as a first instance of that matter... the gpl and other license files could be left, where they are... but other "unnecessary" files could be deleteable...

for the second part... I do not really understand fully, what you approach is...
My approach is to give the possibility to change Programs menu items easily. The changes should be appplied for TC UP interface only. Not even one existing application should be deleted from operating system because there is need for "Restore default" feature to be available (which is not on my sample screen).
that's what I intended as well...

just add already installed applications into TC UPs interface or (if necessary) replace "TC UP included programs" with other already installed programs... but only in GUI...
crowley Wrote:that's what I intended as well...

just add already installed applications into TC UPs interface or (if necessary) replace "TC UP included programs" with other already installed programs... but only in GUI...

Why only in GUI?
OpenFileTC is a natural candidate to get changes too.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
So when Integrator starts it should look for entries in Registry that mean e. g. PSPad is installed, and if it can find something, then add it to itself, OFTC, TC UP menu, TC UP buttonbars... eXtremely hard thing... we need separate configuration files for each software (PSPad.ini for example). Don't you think so?
[Image: selifest_admin.png]
[Image: selifest_wiki_auth.png]
[HUN Wrote:Peti]
So when Integrator starts it should look for entries in Registry that mean e. g. PSPad is installed, and if it can find something, then add it to itself, OFTC, TC UP menu, TC UP buttonbars... eXtremely hard thing... we need separate configuration files for each software (PSPad.ini for example). Don't you think so?
No, I also don't think that having settings for each potential replacement is the way to go. Who would create them?
I see 2 implementations, don't know which one would be better. Both assume that user will select a TC UP app to be replaced and select an executable meant to replace it.

1. Have a list of all references for each TC UP app. Then just replace them with the selected .exe path / name.
2. Search all text files in TC UP directories for references to selected app. Slower. Error prone (detection what part of "C:\MyBestTextEditor\MyBestTextEditor.exe" should be used in particular case). But more generic.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
You got the point there. How would create them? Maybe community, but it is impossible for us. Indeed, letting the user select the application's exe and then replace all links to the files in TC UP's ini files. But it has one drawback for sure: What if they want to add VirtualDubMod for example? We don't have a videoeditor yet, so it would be impossible this way, or if they want to keep Notepad++ and HateML but they want to add PSPad. This is pretty hard with the current TC buttonbars and menus, but as soon as WBX is ready it'll be no problem at all. Just setting OFTC... But I think that community work should be implemented: a guy from mexico adds his favourite application, and sets its associations and everything. And then, when a guy from South Africa tries to add the same app, it can download the necessary settings from TC UP's server. What do you think?Big Grin
[Image: selifest_admin.png]
[Image: selifest_wiki_auth.png]