Total Commander Ultima Prime

One For All

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable version
Hello,

1st of all,TC UP is fantastic!
It completes the already great Total Commander in a way that most people don't expect.
Now my question:
Since there's already a portable and a U3 version creation possible with some tools:
http://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm
Will there be a TC UP portable available in the near future?
Just copy TC UP Directory to USB stick and run TC UP ALWAYS by TC UP.exe

Example path to this file:

C:\Program Files\TC UP\TC UP.exe

If you use always one language version, dont copy CONFIG directory

Example path to this directory:

C:\Program Files\TC UP\CONFIG

In this way, you economize ~ 10 MB
Foto Video - robertlajka.pl

Foto Video - facebook.com/RobertLajkaPL
Many THX for the prompt reply,sir!Smile
Didn't expect it would be that easy....keep up the great work!Cool
Wouldn't it be better to have a TC UP Cleaner, which deletes the unnecessary things, and asks the users about parts of tc up, even plugins (to keep or delete them)?
[Image: selifest_admin.png]
[Image: selifest_wiki_auth.png]
Hi,

IMHO it's the wrong way to have a TC UP cleaner, as it tries to solve the problem from the wrong end. It would be better, to optimize the install procedure. First of all there should be a possibility to select which features at all should be installed (including languages).

Then there should be a way to "repair" the installation... you run the installation routine a second time and can remove or add other plugins/features.

But most important for me is, that the settings in wincmd.ini of an old installation should be taken and only new values should be added.

Greetings,

crowley
Obviously, Crowley!
Sure thing! There was a concept to do this, to update TC UP's existing installation and only install what's necessary... But it needed a very complicated program or script, and what's more important, it needed many configuration files (to know what to add to wincmd.ini when installing for example Imagine.wlx), and by adding TC UP ULTIMATE to the project, it got even harder. So ULTIMA said keep looking for other possibilities, this can't be done with his spare time. This technique would make changing the language of the full TC UP project easy (so no uninstall would be necessary).
But I think it would take weeks to create it's config files.
And UP never decided between using a TC UP Configurator or writing the whole thing in Inno Setup's script...
I prefer the first BTW.

I think we were planning this before 2.7, nothing has happened ever since that time (at least not in this aspect).Big Grin
[Image: selifest_admin.png]
[Image: selifest_wiki_auth.png]
peti

as you happen to be a programmer, you should create a tool, which processes commandline parameters, which could be called by innosetup. then Ultima would have to add just two config files: one with the "old" default values and one with the "new" default values and those, introduced in the "new" version.

the target of this tool is, to compare and merge inifiles. first it should compare the old ini and the currently installed ini. So you could extract all the user defined changes. second you should compare the old and the new ini files, so you would extract the newly introduced or changed values. at last you have to merge the "extracts". Therefore you would have to implement three options: 1) Prefer user changed values 2) Prefer "new" defaults 3) Offer to solve each conflict manually.

I do not know InnoSetup that good (as I have not had a chance to work with it yet), but I bet, that it should be easy to add an option page for the languages, you want to have (that are just files to copy)

and it should not be any more difficult to add an option page, where you can select the plugins you want to have or use. this is mainly another file copy option.

the "difficult" part would be, to generate the configuration files for tcup dynamically. therefore you could write another tool. this tool has an ini file, containing ALL configuration options. then... created by the selection in innosetup, this tool should get another ini file, containg the "selected" plugins. Then this tool must create the configuration files dynamically (by selecting the appropriate texts of the first ini file).

you see... it is not sooooo hard Wink
crowley Wrote:peti

as you happen to be a programmer, you should create a tool, which processes commandline parameters, which could be called by innosetup. then Ultima would have to add just two config files: one with the "old" default values and one with the "new" default values and those, introduced in the "new" version.

the target of this tool is, to compare and merge inifiles. first it should compare the old ini and the currently installed ini. So you could extract all the user defined changes. second you should compare the old and the new ini files, so you would extract the newly introduced or changed values. at last you have to merge the "extracts". Therefore you would have to implement three options: 1) Prefer user changed values 2) Prefer "new" defaults 3) Offer to solve each conflict manually.

I do not know InnoSetup that good (as I have not had a chance to work with it yet), but I bet, that it should be easy to add an option page for the languages, you want to have (that are just files to copy)

and it should not be any more difficult to add an option page, where you can select the plugins you want to have or use. this is mainly another file copy option.

the "difficult" part would be, to generate the configuration files for tcup dynamically. therefore you could write another tool. this tool has an ini file, containing ALL configuration options. then... created by the selection in innosetup, this tool should get another ini file, containg the "selected" plugins. Then this tool must create the configuration files dynamically (by selecting the appropriate texts of the first ini file).

you see... it is not sooooo hard Wink

This is exactly the way we wanted to do this. But there is one problem: time.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]
I know the "time problem" myself Wink

another feature I miss in this "portable" version, would be a functionality, which removes ALL registry entries, which were written by TC UP (or any of its plugins)

If I really want to use the tool on my USB Stick and I want to use it in on public computers as well (like internet cafes, hotels ...), then I do not want to leave any traces behind...

This could be a menu option or a configuration option (e.g. clear traces on closing TC UP)

greetings,

crowley
I think this can be done. With a modified uninstaller.
[Image: pcbsdec7.jpg]